Youth Advisory Board (YAB's)
Norfolk County Council and the seven Norfolk Youth Advisory Boards were successful in achieving the British Youth Council, Youth on Board Award for Innovation.
The award was given as a result of the excellent work that each of the Youth Advisory Boards have undertaken during the last 12 months to ensure that young people are at the heart of local decision making on services for young people.
In order to achieve the award they needed to demonstrate that the advisory boards had:-
- Increased their ability to work with young people and support youth participation in decision-making
- Enabled young people to make a significant positive contribution at a local, national or international level
- Allowed young peoples' creativity to shine
- Inspired, empowered and encouraged the involvement of young people from a range of backgrounds
- Increased youth leadership and given young people a voice in how things are run
The work that the Youth Advisory Boards and the Youth and Community Workers supporting the boards have undertaken this year presented plenty of evidence to fulfil the above criteria. The boards are not resting on their laurels, over the next year they will be developing the Young Commissioners project to further enhance the involvement of young people in determining the scope and quality of the services they receive.
Robin Konieczny MA(Edu)
Norfolk County Council, Children's Services Early Help Team
Commissioning, Partnerships and Community Capacity Manager - Norwich & Sth Norfolk
Select the Youth Advisory Board by area on the map to view information and documents.